Thursday, January 20, 2011

Before work begins

This week is nearing the end of the semester in Chicago.  The official last day is the 28th of January, but I will giving my final exams tomorrow so that I have time to grade them and prepare report cards.  I think there will be less F's than I anticipated earlier in the year.  Hallelujah.

I have been having computer problems - starting before Christmas break and contiuing since then, my school-issed HP tablet has been periodically shutting down.  It is scary, because then when I try to restart it, there is a fatal error message regarding the hard drive and nothing will boot up.  In each case, it has been solvable.  So far.  I need to start backing up my files more frequently.

Rachel is in the midst of finals as well, but tomorrow her day will be greatly altered by a visit from Hu Jintao.  Her school is the home of the Confucious Institute, a Chinese-government sponsored entity that promotes Chinese language and culture in the US.  So, he will take a tour of the school during his brief stopover in Chicago.  Naturally the mayor, school board, media, etc. will be there in force.  Rachel said the school will be on lock-down during that time.  Nobody in the halls; students and teachers cannot leave their rooms.  So it seems she will not be able to meet Hu.

A post on Rachel's birthday to come.

-alan

No comments: