Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Basement update: home stretch

It is Monday night, and I now have less than 1 week of summer vacation left.  I return to work on the 20th, and have students starting the 27th.  [I have received the draft schedule and have finished one of my syllabi - things are moving on the school front.  But that is for another post]

After a healthy break from house work while in Michigan, it is time to wrap up the big tasks for this project.  Tonight I finished a good chunk of the leftover painting - the stairway, and touch-ups.  The closet doors still need paint, and touch-ups of the trim.

That leaves one big job - the ceiling.  I didn't want to sheetrock the ceiling because I want to be able to more easily access ductwork, electrical wiring, etc.  Also, hanging it on the ceiling is a bear.  Instead we bought some attractive beadboard panels that I will cut to fit.  I hope it turns out well.

We also picked up two more items for the basement today:

My dad's old chair returns to to family, after being in long-term foster care with my cousin.  It outgrew his tastes, so he offered it back to me.  It is not much to look at after all these years, but it is still comfy.  I can already feel my butt enjoying its contours come football season.


Also I ordered a dorm fridge to use in the basement.  I will put drinks in there, to free up space in our small kitchen fridge - with all the visitors, we need every inch for foodstuffs.


-alan

No comments: