Monday, January 12, 2009

Obama trying to have it both ways?

Sorry to get political, but one interesting news bit crossed my computer this morning. It was an article from US News and World Report about Obama picking gay episcopal bishop Gene Robinson to give another high-profile invocation during the inauguration this month. That was supposedly done to placate the gay community, who dislike Rick Warren (the first pick to give an invocation) for being anti-homosexual. Here's a quote from Robinson...

"I'm all for Rick Warren being at the table," Robinson told the New York Times. "But we're not talking about a discussion; we're talking about putting someone up front and center at what will be the most watched inauguration in history, and asking his blessing on the nation. And the God that he's praying to is not the God that I know." (emphasis mine)

Now, I can understand Obama for picking a variety of clergy as he is trying not to upset too many people. But I must say I was surprised to hear Robinson speak out so strongly against Warren. I didn't realize how far apart the Episcopals and Evangelicals are in the US!

-alan

No comments: