Friday, February 20, 2009

Thanks to all who have sent their regards. We appreciate your thoughts and your love. :)

Because I don't want to end a post with it, I'll start with a picture of Colby at the end. It's sad to see him like this, but thankfully it was only the last day that he was really like this. He looks so much older than his 6 months really are!


Perhaps by Providence, I grabbed the camera last weekend before going out on a walk with Colby. We had wanted to take pictures in front of some flowering trees in the neighborhood, and I just kept snapping pictures along the way. It was a beautiful weekend, with warm weather and sunshine, so it was great to be outside.


And really, the three of us going on walks provided some of the best memories I will have with our dog. I loved being outside, being able to see the neighborhood, and watching him happily scamper from tree to tree to sniff every inch of the outside world he could get his muzzle to. He was getting pretty big, so we had to be sure to hold on REAL tight!

And now that the brunt of winter is over, I am reminded of how fortunate we are to be in China and have a beautiful neighborhood to live in. We will have to keep those walks going, dog or no dog.
Since Chinese New Year, Colby had been really afraid of loud noises. Cars, motorcycles, and buses were the worst - but really anything could send him into a frightful spasm. But there was one odd thing that always freaked him out...



Hmmm...who'd have thought that Chinese babies sitting on bumblebees that play "It's a Small World" could be so terrifying??

And while we're showing videos, here's another of the adventurous Colby riding to school in a pedicab with Rachel.



So of course we are sad to see him go, but we appreciate the happiness he brought to our lives these last months. Rachel had never had a dog she really liked, so I'd say he did a pretty good job winning her over so quickly :)

Whether we will get another dog - I couldn't say. But I know that I learned some good lessons from the experience and am willing to just live without for the time being.

And to close - one last bit of nostalgia for our own sake. Those of you who asked for more Colby content - you better get your fill now.

Our first few days with the little guy.

"I won't chew your sandals this time, I promise!! PLEASE let me in!" His porch was his daytime home, and were unfailingly greeted every afternoon with his nose pressed to glass, tail wagging, giving us those eyes that gave us no choice but to go open the door and play with him.

Get that toy!...unfortunately, our fierce puppy mistook our nice plush carpet for a bathroom a few too many times.

Colby's first girlfriend...use your imagination. (I hope this picture doesn't come back to haunt this poor girl when she's older!)

Sleeping puppy.

He always managed to find a spot on the couch with us.

Bye!
-alan

No comments: