Sunday, August 29, 2010

Week 1 of work, in retrospect

I have finished my first "week" of "work."  It was actually only 3 days, and it was mostly PD meetings.  So nothing to stress about.  Good news - I survived the first days.  Starting the new job brings back those memories of school - it is somewhat like reliving your first day of high school.  Walking in to a strange place, not really knowing anyone, or where to go to the bathroom, or where to eat, etc. etc.  Thankfully I am a grownup now and can overcome such trials.  Plus there are lots of new faces in the high school, since all the 10th grade teachers are new. Only problem is that my face is apparently a little too young-looking, since I had to answer the question, "So is this you first year teaching?" a few too many times for my liking.

This coming week I will be able to go to my own school building and get accustomed to my classroom.  Hopefully we will have some free time in the coming days - and I hope my lab equipment is arriving soon!


In other work news, Rachel has a full time job now.  Yeah, that's right, she's full time.  She was called and asked to take on more classes, and decided to go for it.  Teach 2 more classes for 2x the pay.  Alright!  So she will have 3 classes of World Studies and 2 classes of American History.

Finally, I have been taking full advantage of our new neighbor - IIT.  This small university offers some fun perks.  1) Their 9 hole disc golf course is a fun diversion which I have played on ~5 times so far.  Friday I played twice, and scored +3 and +4 over par, respectively.  I need to work on my putting.  2) They have a little known bowling alley / bar in the basement of one of their academic buildings.  It is only open Thursday and Friday nights (really...that's it) but it is cheap and we can walk there.  We find ourselves walking over there enough...maybe I should enroll!  Second masters?

-alan 

No comments: