Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hallelujah!

That title has more than one meaning - but everything going on in life of late gives one reason to celebrate.

First, Christmas break has arrived.  I had a half day at school yesterday, during which I announced to my Honors class that I was having a baby boy.

Speaking of - we went to the doctor on Tuesday and learned via the ultrasound that we will be having a boy.  Everything is going well, and the baby is healthy.  Great news, right?

I did not make any other "announcements" to my other classes, but the news spread like wildfire through the rest of the grade. 

We kicked everyone out, literally, at 11:30 and freedom was upon us all.  I stayed to clean up my classroom and finish grading the science fair boards.  I was pretty close to the last person in the building when I left at 4. 

The other reason for the title is that we will be attending the Apollo Chorus' live performance of Handel's "Messiah" tomorrow afternoon downtown.  I am very excited to see it; the last time I saw it live was when my brother performed it when he was in a choir in Michigan.  But the most memorable part of that was being super tired and not appreciating it; I cannot remember how long ago it was or what led me to stretching out on the pew in the audience mid-performance.  Perhaps it is best that my memory is hazy.

Finally, we enjoyed attending the taping of this week's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me."  It gave us a greater appreciation for the show and how it gets put together.  We did tune in this morning as we ate breakfast, just to hear how much creative editing they do - it is more than you think!  It was a funny show, and we have faces to put with the voices we hear on the radio.  Best part?  We each got a free travel mug, with Carl Kassell and Peter Segal's faces on the sides.  Jealous?  


-alan

2 comments:

Eric and Liz said...

Yay-my friend, Michelle Areyzaga is singing the soprano solos for that. She's wonderful-hope you enjoy!!!

philipallmen said...

We both view those as acceptable Christmas presents. :)