Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day!

Living in another country helps you to appreciate all the privilege of being an American.  Happy 4th of July!

Prior to a wedding we attended on Saturday, Rachel and I were apart much of the morning, and so did not have much time to communicate.  Andrew got TWO baths that morning, so he was extra clean for the festivities.


The wedding was fun - we went back to the site of our ceremony and our reception, so it was a nice reminder of the fun times from 6 years ago.

Another picture of Andrew, who played for a good 30 minutes with his balloon.

Work is progressing on the kitchen.  I finished demo of the dry wall (part of the walls will be salvaged) and today we tackled more of the flooring.  Thanks to Dave and Sarah for coming up to help on their holiday!


I am thinking of what work I need to get done now, while the walls are exposed.  Certainly electrical upgrades, as we will need more outlets and more efficient wiring.  There are plumbing issues, as there is a drain pipe that needs to be capped.  The gas line needs to be moved. 

But the fun part is using all my "new" tools (from my Dad) and practicing skills I have not used in awhile.  I am also finding all kinds of uses for my (limited) physics knowledge, as leverage has been a key factor in pulling down walls, pulling up floors, lifting heavy objects, and getting rusty pipes free.

Here is what we are looking at now:







This is the galvanized steel gas line, which was almost as troublesome as the steel water pipes that took me nearly 3 hours to unstick and cap off.  An exciting diversion in that project was the "opportunity" to use our fire extinguisher for the first time.  In my defense, I do not think operator error was a factor. No further questions, Mom! 

-alan

No comments: