Monday, June 11, 2012

Summer begins: Bathroom reno, Day 1 - Demo

Summer is here!

With all the time we have to spend together, whatever will our family do?


Don't stress Andrew, summer will be fun.  You probably do not remember much from last summer, but I will be home a lot more often, the weather is warm, and we will go out and do fun things :)


Last week Rachel gave me a nasty sinus infection (nice birthday present, right??) so I was knocked out for most of the last week of school.  Thankfully, most of my work was already done so I was able to sleepwalk right into summer.

Today was my first weekday off from school, and it felt pretty sweet.  No alarm (other than Andrew), a leisurely breakfast, time to Skype with Mom, a few hours of work upstairs/outside, and a walk around the block before hitting up the neighborhood ice cream social.  Ahhhh...this is the life.

But there is work to be done...

2 big projects for the summer: upstairs bath renovation, and the basement renovation.  The upstairs bath is the priority, because Sarah and Dave will be moving in at the end of the month.  It started out looking like this:



Nothing pretty, but nothing hideous.  Problem is, there is no shower/bath.  And there will be upwards of 7 people in this house at various times in the coming months, so 1 shower will not do. 

First things first: see how this place is put together. 



Much better!  The framing is solid, thankfully, and no sign of mold.  The fixtures we not worth keeping, and the drywall was nailed instead of screwed, so there were enough ugly nail pops to convince me to start over.

What's the next step?  Good question... unfortunately, I do not have as good a plan in place for the bath as I do for the basement.  I need to work hard tonight to design this place, so that I make the necessary purchases and starting piecing it back together.  The clock is ticking!

-alan

No comments: