Saturday, August 16, 2008

School's in session!

We started school this past Thursday. I for one was very excited that it was a very short week. It gave me time this weekend to regroup and reassess my plans for the year. We were told that there would be many English as a second language students in our classes, but now I have a little better feel for how things will be now that I've met them! I hope I will be able to learn how to best meet their needs while also pushing the class at a high level. Unlike Alan, I didn't get my masters in ESL! Our classes are incredibly diverse and it will be great teaching classes like World Geography and Comparative Politics in this uber-international context. It will be an adjustment teaching kids who are so motivated and well behaved ;-)

Today I went with some girls to a double birthday party at a KTV. This is a Karaoke place. We had fun singing and dancing to the songs (yes they were in English). For those of you who are unfamiliar with Asian-style Karaoke (they have it in the US, in case you want to go) you rent a private room and are only in there with your friends. They supply the mics, a loud speaker system, a large screen with the words and accompanying video, and even a tambourine! I didn't bring a camera but I know some pics and possibly even some video was taken. Ok, I admit I was jumping on the furniture during a few songs, but it was just sooo fun!

Oh, update on having a house helper. IT IS AMAZING!!!! We come home from school and dinner is ready for us. The dishes are clean, laundry washed, ironed, and folded, floors are spotless, and even our bedside tables are organized. We are really grateful for all her hard work. It really gives us freedoom to spend more time on our school work and adjusting to our new lives in China!

1 comment:

Kate said...

jealous of the house helper, i won't lie.