Monday, November 24, 2008

Cold - the good, bad, and a dilemma

Though I have posted a little bit in relation to the cold, I thought it was time to discuss the situation in a little more detail.

First, the good.

It is mid November, and there is no sign of frost or snow anywhere to be found. The temperatures are getting up into the 50s regularly, and it is generally more agreeable outside than it would be right now in Chicago or Detroit. Looking ahead, it will get into the 40s come winter, but it will generally stay above that magic freezing line. No more shoveling out in the mornings, no more freezing in the car waiting for it to warm up, no freezing skin as I wait for the bus. I must say, it was nice to watch football games this weekend, and see firsthand the temperature difference.

Then there's the bad.

In a land where insulation is non-existent, we live and work in concrete blocks. Now, I won't knock concrete (so as to prevent my Chicago concrete friends from getting too mad at me) but it is better for its strength and durability than its insular properties. So as a result, the temperature inside is only a few degrees warmer than the temperature outside. So while 50 in November is not bad, 55-60 as an indoor temperature leaves me chilly. Add to that a lack of central heating, and you have a recipe for chills that lead to sniffles

So what do we do? Load up on layers. I feel like everyday when I go to school, I am dressing like I am going to a Northwestern football game - long underwear and lots of layers. We had to go out and buy some long underwear, which Rachel was kind enough to model for you...

So what's the problem?

We have heaters, but they work inefficiently. Our friends here scold us for thinking that it is cold, or for considering using the heaters. So it gnaws at my social, financial, and environmental sensibilities to run them too much. Yet, if I am cold, should I not do what is necessary to stay warm? I don't think it is a coincidence that both Rachel and I got sick this week.

So what to do? Tough it out in the cold until I get used to not having feeling in my toes when I'm home? Or throw caution to the wind and huddle in front of our space heaters?

Until a decision is made, we live life with a feeling much colder than the temperatures outside would suggest...
-alan

No comments: