Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday night

Victory! Though I really wanted to stay in bed this morning, Rachel eventually roused me in time to watch Northwestern outpace Michigan for a 21-14 win on Saturday. It was beautiful to watch the boys in purple ascend to 8-3 at the cost of Michigan falling to the inconceivably embarrassing 3-8. Since the opportunities are few, I will relish this victory over a perennial Big Ten powerhouse. Though Michigan is a shell of its former self and far worse teams have beat them this year, it was sweet. I'm also much happier about this 60 degree weather here in Chengdu, after watching the sleet and snow that was coming down in that game. Yuck.

Which makes me think - it really feels different. Not quite like November in the Midwest. I have no concept that Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner. The weather and lack of American advertising/holiday retail means I am mentally stuck in October.

We were at Ikea earlier today, and they did have some small Christmas trees and decorations. Though we went all out last year for a huge live tree, I am not feeling the Christmas spirit right now. At least not enough to go out and load up on the decor, especially since we'll be leaving town for the holidays. But, we'll see if I cave (or if Rachel pressures me into it) once December rolls around.

Big week upcoming - basketball tournament in Qingdao (many students will be gone for that), my first official observation, progress reports due, new units to be started in all 3 science classes, and perhaps still time left for a visit to Papa John's. Oh yeah!

-alan

1 comment:

Kate said...

allmens, i don't want to alarm you but...i actually watched the game on TV this weekend! well...at least the second half of it. i want to make you proud :)