Thursday, November 6, 2008

post-election in China

Strange - it seemed like election day would never actually arrive! My Mom always loved election day - not because she is a political junkie, but because she cherishes the day that non-stop political commercials and commentary will be off the TV and normal life can resume. And yes, it seems as though Obama-McCain (and the primaries before that) has had its place as a staple of the media for as long back as I can remember. (though, I must say, I'm not sure at this point how far pre-China my memory actually stretches back to)

For me, it was really fun to watch the parties going on in Chicago. I kind of wonder if I would have gone downtown, or would I have been too lazy and just watched on TV. Maybe Rachel would have dragged me out there. Well, it seems like I missed out on a fun celebration and one of those precious "I was there when...." stories for the grandkids.

Here, the celebration was much more subdued. And by subdued I mean non-existent. I do know of one person outside my household here who voted Obama - there could be more, but they stay in the silent minority. My American students reacted with loud displeasure all election day (I was in school all day as election returns came in through the night in the US) as their hopes of a McCain comeback were squashed. While their political views were not surprising, the things that came out of their mouths were...

"I think he's the anti-Christ."

"Obama loves abortions!"

"Obama was sent by Satan."

"Shhhhhh. I'm gonna tell you a secret.... Obama is a HOMO-SEXUAL."


Oh well. Maybe by the next election cycle I will know better how to raise the bar of political discussion in my classes!

alan

No comments: