Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Grading exams, thinking of cars

I finished grading 2 of the 3 finals I have given.

I actually gave a 3rd final today - much to my surprise! It was in my AP Bio class. Since all but 1 of my students were seniors, I assigned no final exam. The seniors are already finished, so I had the 1 remaining junior show up today. We discussed his grade, and he decided it was worth the risk to take the final to try and raise his grade - even though he had not studied since taking the AP exam!

On my 7th grade test, I asked the students to propose new, alternative energy sources for cars in the future. I liked some of the suggestions... such as wind powered. Install wind turbines, which charge a battery that starts the car. Then once it is moving, the wind will provide it with continuous energy. But the most "out there" was an idea to use lightning - add giant lightning rods, and huge batteries that could store all the energy from lightning strikes.

Which brings to mind the idea of buying a car, which we will have to do as early as next week. Currently, we are leaning towards a hybrid car. I'm a science teacher, so that fits...right? We are still debating used or new, make and model, etc. But it is fun to think about. We've never really made such a big purchase before.

I have also been thinking about computers. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your persuasion) I have been wooed by my time with my Mac here. I am thinking of investing upon my return.

Which is why Rachel called me out - I am thinking of buying a Prius and a Mac. What is more yuppie than that?!?

On a final hair-related note, I'll be shaving prior to graduation tomorrow.

Seniors, let's party!

-alan

No comments: