Saturday, April 23, 2011

Still waiting!

Spring break is rapidly coming to a conclusion, but this baby is nowhere to be found. 

We were over at the Weddles' house on Thursday, and they planted the idea in our heads that the baby was coming.  I went home and finalized my sub plans, downloaded a contraction timer app for the ipod, and settled in to be interrupted by the onset of labor.  However, the only labor I heard was the labored snoring of Rachel as she sawed logs all night.  Between the 2 cups of gourmet coffee served by Eric and the thoughts of the baby, I was in for an anxious, restless night.

But thankfully after that false non-alarm, I settled down and slumbered away for a good 10 hours on Friday night. 

And I needed the sleep - it has been a tough week, physically.  My white collar body is not used to this physical labor.  I enjoy it, but the body protests each morning and evening with the various aches and pains of the day.  It reminds me of spring break service trips of the past - wake up, work, eat, work, eat, rest, sleep, and repeat.  Except this time, I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor personally!

Thanks to Dave, Sarah, and Tom for their help on getting the floors ready for refinishing!

I finished digging a trench today, to run electricity (safely) to the garage.  I also spent a good 3 hours pulling staples from the stairs.  (there were only FIVE stairs with hardwood, but each had easily 100+ staples.)  The floors are looking better prepared, but there is still more to do.  I need to walk through the whole house and look closely for more staples and nails.  With the floor looking like swiss cheese, and the gaps between boards in the hallway, I am nervous about what the final product will be like.  I need to live with this floor for years!

Tomorrow we will celebrate Easter.  I always enjoy the festive mood that Easter brings - a time to celebrate Jesus' victory over death.  Rachel and I will sing in a special Easter choir in the morning - we were thinking the baby would be coming around now and we could get out of it.  But with only a few hours left until service, I doubt that will happen!  Then back to the Weddles for Easter dinner.  Since we have been living in limbo all week waiting for the baby, we have not gone grocery shopping, and done very little cooking.  It is nice to have friends who are willing to take care of us!

-alan

No comments: