Wednesday, October 12, 2011

From stateside

While Rachel has been having fun in the Taiwan, I have been languishing in bachelorhood back in Chicago.  Many have asked how life alone is going, but it seems I have had plenty of social interaction to keep me busy.  The sports spectator scene alone has swallowed up much of my free time - with the Tigers in the playoffs, Lions doing well, Northwestern football, and a marathon, there has been a lot to watch.

Karen's performance in the marathon was admirable.  She ran hard despite the crowds and heat, and was in far better spirits the rest of the day than I ever could myself.  I was miserable enough having slept only 4 hours and watching the marathon all day - I did not even run (other than to cross the street!).  Downtown was a madhouse, with swarms of out-of-towners taking to the CTA to catch a glimpse of their friends and family running.  I knew the Chicago marathon was a big deal, but I had no idea...

Today is the last full day / night before Rachel comes home.  I have a few things at home to do: some laundry and picking up, but I cleaned both before and after Phil and Karen came over, so at least there are no big chores.  I do still have a lot of grading to do.  Grading is my thorn, the task that I always have hanging over me and can never seem to get on top of.  I will dive headfirst into this task today, and hope that I get something substantive accomplished.

While it has been a good experience to have some independence and do things completely on my own, I am excited to have Rachel and Andrew home.  The activity of the past week has made Skyping difficult - the times never really lined up.  Now there is little more than a 20 hour airplane journey between us!

-alan

No comments: