Sunday, March 15, 2009

a biology project to aid the "exercise revival"

I'm having my biology class begin a new project tomorrow. I'm excited about it, because it is something that has real world applications, and I hope they will enjoy. They will be making custom-made energy bars for the members of the school staff who are training for a half-marathon this spring. I hope they do not turn out to be too gross...

Though I have personal issues with running, they are hoping to use this event as a way to raise money for a local orphanage. So for that, I have reason to support their efforts. And I hope my class will get excited about it and encourage them throughout the spring as a result.

In the last month or two, interest in general has grown for exercise. The ladies are also participating in aerobics at least twice per week, in addition to training for the race.

Since I hate running and am not invited to aerobics, I have to find other ways to get my lazy muscles in motion. So, I have joined the local gym in Xipu. I've been a half dozen times, and find it an interesting culturally study.

The clientele range from wide-shouldered men in serious workout gear, to people who have clearly come to the gym straight from work. The curious part, though, is that they do not change their clothes - they just get on the treadmill in their jeans or their slacks. Yesterday, I watched one young woman run for 10+ minutes on a treadmill - while wearing her poofy down coat. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I can't even imagine how hot she was by the end of it.

So hopefully, this gym can become more of a habit and I can get in better shape!

-alan

PS - Last I heard, Rachel has not yet been successfully convinced by her friends to run the half-marathon, which is fine with me. But, she DOES want to run with them more often - so you can "check up" on her to make sure she is doing it!

1 comment:

Karen Allmen said...

If your kiddos come up with a good recipe I'd love to hear it! I'd volunteer to be a test subject but I think I'm probably too far away.