Monday, March 30, 2009

Food updates

I am the major eater in the family so I had to weigh in on some of these food posts. It all started on Thursday night with our weekly potluck. I love potlucks for both their delicious variety and the opportunity to keep sneaking up for more when no one is watching.

Friday night we had yummy hotpot as you saw in Alan's previous post. I really enjoy finding my food in a vat of boiling oil, it is almost like a game. When you catch something in your chopsticks (and don't drop it) there is a sense of satisfaction. I also love the community built around a shared hotpot. Friends find food another wants and the careful game of passing the food via chopsticks ensues. After hotpot we had some good conversations at English corner ranging from the economy to entertainment. I am amazed at how much more some Chinese college students know about American TV than me!

Saturday was my favorite not only because Kate and I won Catan (taking advantage of our opponents' weak eyes during earth hour) but also because we had semi-legit Korean food on OUR STREET!!!! We ordered some yummy bulgogi, kimbap, and bi bim bap. We have to help keep this place open! Some places on our street have already changed hands in our short time here. While I protest to presence of dog on the menu, I will faithfully visit this place as much as I can.

Sunday we were blessed with a good message and Turkish food at The Sultan. I can't get enough of the naan and hummus! Afterwards we went to a big store to buy some things we needed and of course some extras. Our cart was hard to push as we headed for the check-out and I wondered how we would get it all home in the taxi. Thankfully some parents from school were there and gave us a ride home! Thanks guys, you are our favorite Canadians!

So now we are all stocked and ready to receive Liz and Eric on Friday. We are going to have a lot of fun being tourists in Chengdu and chilling with some wonderful friends. We will try to keep you all updated on what happens as we host for the time and hope to see others follow the Weddles to the magical land of Xipu.

-rachel

1 comment:

Eric and Liz said...

Since when does rachel SNEAK food? ;-) one last moment of living vicariously through your blog....and then we're off!