Thursday, July 9, 2009

Diversity

In my Chinese lesson today, I had the opportunity to look at my teacher's pictures and here the stories of her trip to Xinjiang a few years back. With all the negative attention and news coverage being focused on that part of China right now, it was refreshing to see some diversity of thought. Much of that news coverage discusses the tensions between ethnic groups - and I tend to think that much of that is true in places.

But just as America is a very large and diverse country, so is China. And while some people in America were, and continue to be racist against various groups, many are not. And so while some Han Chinese may feel those prejudices, not all do. So it was nice to hear from a Chinese person about how much she enjoyed her trip there, how nice the people there were to her, and how Xinjiang is the most beautiful place in China.

It all made me want to visit.....but maybe not right now.

-alan

No comments: