Sunday, August 23, 2009

Taming the gamer

I just finished beating Rachel in Bohnanza. I figured out her Achilles heel - sympathy for her husband.

My dominance has long been established in any 2-player game. From Catan to Speed Scrabble to cards, I generally win.

In group games, however, Rachel usually wins. By a margin that clearly beats the conventional odds.

How to explain the difference? I always suspected that Rachel is actually superior, but she knows that if we play a 2-player game and she beats me by a lot, then I will pout. So she plays dumb and lets me win.

Well, on Friday I tested this theory. We were playing Phase 10 with the Brewers. Rachel has never played this before, yet within 30 minutes she was winning. So I verbalized my theory, threatened to pout, and a few hands later the tides were turned. She was surpassed and finished a distant 2nd.

I'll have to keep this one in my pocket for the next time we play Catan!!

-alan

1 comment:

Karen Allmen said...

I feel like I just need to say something about Allmen boys and their insistence on winning games. I don't know WHAT to say, but I feel like this is the beginning of a slightly alarming trend. We should probably check with Michael and see if he shows any of the signs as well.