Monday, August 17, 2009

What am I doing?

Pending more rain, tomorrow is the first day of middle school boys volleyball.

The coach? Yours truly.

Whether I was asked to do it, or volunteered is a gray area. But one way or another, I am committed to two practices per week from now through much of October. The payoff is at the end, when I accompany the team to Shenyang, in northern China, for a tournament with the other schools in our company. The trips are always well-remembered by all, so I look forward to that.

In the meantime, I need to figure some things out. Thankfully, the bar for boys volleyball is pretty low, so I do not fear being a disappointment in my CDIS coaching debut.

Aside from that, it has been a productive first 3 days of classes. I have a lot fewer names to remember compared to last year (since most of the returning students I already know), so that is a big plus. AP Biology will be a tough class, but I have some bright kids so they will probably do well in spite of me.

Finally, Rachel is 1-1 in fulfilling her pledge. She went out and bought vegetables, cooking chicken with mashed potatoes, sauteed veggies, and salad. I did not say a peep - I only chopped.

-alan

2 comments:

Mrs. Videtich said...

you did say thank you I assume? :]

Karen Allmen said...

A volleyball coach? I think that's just lovely! I'm picturing you in place of each of the tyrannical coaches I had in high school, and I think I'd have much preferred you... unless you're a yeller. You're not a yeller, are you?