Friday, May 28, 2010

Job update

No news is bad news when it comes to job hunting.

Though our Yunnan trip significantly distracted me from my job hunt, I have redoubled my efforts in contacting schools. I had a second interview with a school this past week, and should hear the result within a few days. I like the school but am worried about the compensation levels.

For many of the other schools, I will likely have to wait for interviews until I am in Chicago. Many principals have given me that reply when I ask to talk about openings. I plan to head over to Chicago right away when we return, so hopefully I can have some interviews scheduled.

I have been reading Diane Ravitch's new book, The Death and Life of the Great American School System, which sets out a clear argument against the current manifestation of charters. Being outside the union, charters tend to demand more from their teachers than the traditional schools - and as such, they attract mostly young teachers and see higher turnover. Looking ahead to teaching job #3, I would prefer a school that does not have a revolving door faculty...teachers leave for a reason, and I would prefer my next step to be more stable if possible.

-alan

No comments: