Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas in China

Upon leaving for Hong Kong on the day before Thanksgiving, the holidays were the furthest thing from my mind. Chengdu is far enough from the Western sphere of influence that the Thanksgiving/Christmas festivities have not fully penetrated the city. So without the ads promoting sales, decorations in stores, and non-stop Christmas music radio stations feeding us reminders, it was hard to get in the spirit. Add to that the balmy weather in HK, and you get a Thanksgiving holiday that just didn't feel quite right.

But we did see some signs of Christmas when we were there! First, they were putting up trees in the malls and public parks - here is a huge one!
The amazing thing is how elaborately the hotels and office buildings around town were lit up at night.

And Rachel loves those snowmen!

Since we've gotten back, Rachel has pushed the thinking on Christmas by investing in a modest tree - a little 1.2m artificial tree that is sitting next to our TV. It doesn't have much in terms of decorations (and our string of lights has already gone out!) but it is a reminder of what is coming. (pictures to come)

We watched "White Christmas" after our big dinner this past weekend, which gave it a family-get-together kind of feel. Then on Sunday at the International Fellowship we heard a talk on the meaning of Handel's Messiah - which is certainly related to Christmas. I got so interested in it, I want to listen to the whole thing now.

And now....I voluntarily put Christmas music on!

I guess there is hope I won't be a complete scrooge this year!

-alan

2 comments:

Kate said...

my sister and I have gone to see Handel's Messiah at the Symphony Center the last 3 years. we couldn't go this year, unfortunately, because my mom was in town. it has become one of my favorite traditions. such a beautiful piece of music.

philipallmen said...

Messiah, one of my favorite to see and to sing. Now I'll have to listen to the whole thing at work tomorrow.

Now, just as long as the Christmas music you're playing doesn't fall into the category of things like Jingle Bell Rock or Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree...