Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mornings in China vs Taiwan...

The biggest difference in life here in Taiwan comes first thing in the morning: the shower. In Chengdu, it is 40-50 degrees in our bathroom (no central heat). When the alarm goes off, I turn on the remote-controlled heating unit while we snooze a few more minutes. That heats our bedroom up to bearable levels. Rachel and I then non-verbally debate about who has to get up first...the loser goes to the bathroom, turns the shower on to let it heat, and runs back into bed before the cold sets in. Once the water is steamy, the first victim jumps in and enjoys a few moments of warmth - the water is hot, but the air streaming in from the cold window tempers the experience. Once the shower is done, cold air and a damp towel are all that awaits you until I can make it back to the bedroom where my long underwear has been warming on the electric radiator.

In Taiwan, I leisurely get out of bed - extra clothes are unnecessary because the room has not fallen to such frigid temps. I can go get some breakfast, or sit on the couch for a bit - without giving a thought to being too cold or warm. When I'm ready, the bathroom is inviting and just right! Ahhhhh I will enjoy it while it lasts!

-alan

No comments: