Friday, September 18, 2009

Kids say the darndest things...

Baby fever has swept over CDIS. At the time of this writing 4 teachers are pregnant (1 foreign, 3 nationals). As a couple WITHOUT kids, the questions have been flying as to when we are going to jump on the bandwagon. For those of you out there who also want to ask this question, the answer is not yet :-)

Yesterday I experienced one of the most awkward student conversations ever on the topic. My typing will not be able to capture the moment, but I will try :-)

So I was chatting with a few students during high school lunch about various topics from homework to service projects. One student suddenly asked, "Are you pregnant Mrs. Allmen?" I'm hoping he didn't ask because my belly was protruding, but I think it was just do to the recent outbreak of pregnancies. I responded, "No, I'm not." He proceeds to ask and explain a serious of questions as his fellow students listened in shocked at his inquiry. "Well, why aren't you pregnant? Don't you want to be pregnant? Maybe you and Mr. Allmen should.....uh....you know...be more intimate (doing some gestures with his hands)...Then you know, you can get pregnant."

Wow. What did I say? What could I say? One of the other students chimed in that he is lucky Mr. Allmen wasn't there or he might have beat him up. I hope the look on all our faces was enough to deter this kid from never asking such things again.

-rachel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, too funny!!!!