Thursday, October 29, 2009

I'm off!

Today was busy - it was really the only "normal" day of classes this whole week, and I had a lot to get done. In addition, I had to prep for tomorrow's classes, since I will be absent.

Some life was added, though, as our neighboring Chinese school had a field day. They had been practicing for some time - all the classes have been marching in step around the track with various props. Some held flags, other flowers, other inflatable baseball bats...why? I have no idea. So today, the music blared (the same song on repeat) for much of the morning as they marched around the field, class by class. I wish their speakers faced the other direction!

So, the reason for my absence tomorrow is that I will be going to Shenyang, in northern China, for our fall volleyball tournament.



Look at North Korea, and just to the left you will see Shenyang. The weather will not get much above freezing during the day, and colder at night. I am not excited about that. I have not braved such temperatures since Chicago! Should I bring my big furry winter hat??

There are only 4 middle school teams at this tournament, so we will play 3 round-robin matches, a semifinal, and maybe a final match. It's a lot of travel for so little playing time! I hope the kids have fun.

-alan

No comments: