Monday, October 26, 2009

A philosophy of education?

There are two days a year which always makes me wonder...why don't I just give all my kids good grades?

Today is parent-teacher conference day. I have had a steady stream of parents from 9am-3pm, and there is another session for parents this evening. Most parents, understandably, only seek out the teachers who gave their students low grades. Many of these students did poorly because of language problems, or issues adjusting to a new school. (A few did poorly because they are just plain lazy.) So for many, there is a temptation to "excuse" those difficulties, give them the benefit of the doubt, and bump up their grade. The kid is happy, the parent is happy, and I get a day free to do whatever I want.

Instead, I give the kids the grades they deserve and I have a full day of talking with parents. Hmmmm.

I know that grade inflation does no one any favors, so I think I'll hold on to my integrity. For now.

It was cool to sit at a table, where an American teacher (me) speaks in English and a Chinese co-teacher speaks in Chinese to a Korean school nurse, who translates this all for a Korean mother of a student.

-alan

No comments: