Sunday, October 17, 2010

Weekend away

That post about last weekend never quite got finished.  Perhaps I should take the high road and blame myself for farming off the responsibility to Rachel.  However, I am not that big of a person when it comes down to it.  She just never finished it.  Too bad - there were some funny stories :)


Rachel and I made a quick trip to Michigan this weekend - just to see family.  Apparently Northwestern football dominates our weekend social schedule to such a degree that we had to sneak this weekend getaway in during their bye week.  I think we have a sickness.

Being there reminded me yet again of how much I miss the season of fall - I have written about it before, but the trees were approaching their height of color (as opposed to Chicago, where the lake effect keeps us still relatively green for the time being).  The sunshine was warm, while the air was cool and clear.  The farmer's market in Farmington was still in surprisingly good swing - still lots of produce and tons of people.  Rachel bought a big squash and a pumpkin, which reminds me of China - she would buy some pumpkin almost every week, and make pumpkin puree for herself (I stay away from anything that looks like baby food, whenever possible).  It was fun, because our local farmer's market has winded down, and we have never traveled up to the North side to visit the big one there.

At church this morning there was mention of the upcoming elections and all the political ads.  I have kept myself immune from the ads thanks to the fact that I almost never watch TV live - but on the flip side, I feel that I have been avoiding making decisions about who to vote for.  I find myself underwhelmed with most of the statewide and federal candidates from the major parties.  Illinois is in serious financial trouble, and no one seems to know what to do.  I should do some homework on this.

The chill is in the air - I programmed our new thermostat today.  I am still questioning whether the thermometer on it is reliable - it seems to be over-reporting temperatures...I should bring a thermometer home from school to verify, because my mom questioned my use of a meat thermometer in earlier attempts to gauge if it is correct.

Rachel is in bed, so I should end my Sunday procrastination, finish up my work, and join her.

-alan

1 comment:

Eric and Liz said...

haha-I love you guys. Alan-has anyone ever told you that your soliloquies about the weather are oddly reminiscent of Christopher Kimball's editorials?