Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Beautiful fall

Perhaps the best thing about being back in Chicago is the weather.  Now, it might sound strange to claim Chicago weather as a perk (have you ever lived here in January?  Bleak, windy, and cold??)  But the truth of the matter is that I love fall.  Crisp air in the morning - cool, but nothing that a light jacket cannot take care of - sunny, bright, and warm in the afternoon.  You can take a walk and not sweat from the humidity.  You can still feel the warmth of the sun on your skin, but feel comfortable in a sweatshirt.  The past week has been gorgeous, and I do not even mind that I had to run the windshield wipers when I got in my car after work to clear away the leaves that had accumulated.  It is way better than snow.

Rachel is feeling better, but her sickness got her in the habit of going to sleep before 9.  I am reminded of life in 2005, when we first got married.  My memory is fairly hazy, but I do remember being on different schedules as a result of our jobs starting at different times.  (I needed to be at work by 8:30, but my first class was not until 9:15.  Sweet!)  Now we get up at roughly the same time, but it seems that she is sleeping an hour or so sooner.  Hmmmm.  How did we resolve the situation back then?  I could sleep earlier, but then how will those I-am-not-quite-ready-to-go-to-bed-yet blog posts get written? 

Friday is test day - the first big one of the year.  Then a long weekend (thank you, Mr. Columbus!).  I would be lying if I said I was not looking forward to having Monday off.  But grades and other things are due by Tuesday, so I actually have a mountain of work to get caught up on.  A day off is just what I need.

Rachel has her seminar day tomorrow - she is assisting in a cooking class.  I wonder if she is the sous chef?  A couple weeks ago they made biscuits...but she has not put that recipe to practice at home yet.  C'mon, practice makes perfect!

-alan

No comments: