Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Please excuse any hanging participles

Rachel likes to say that I have 3 jobs now - a teacher, a father, and a homeowner.  Apparently blogging does fall anywhere within those job descriptions, because it has been awhile.

I actually started this blog post countless times in my mind.  And a couple time on the computer.  The baby is resting on my lap right now, in a state of not-quite-awake-but-not-settled-enough-to-lie-down-on-my-own.  But he is content enough to let me type a few minutes. 

As a father, I am quite happy.  A newborn is relatively easy for a father to deal with - you don't feed him, and he does not need a lot of stimulation.  So as long as I can hold him, swaddle him, shhhhh him, and change his diaper, then I am a superstar.

Rachel said that I am supposed to brag about how little sleep I am getting.  Well, I am starting on my night shift with Andrew right now.  He has his evening feeding and Rachel went off to bed.  But he is not ready to sleep, so I am stealing some 1-on-1 time to do manly things like fixing the bathroom tile or watching Sportcenter.


So yes, it is past my pre-baby bedtime, but staying up an extra hour or two pales in comparison to waking up every few hours to feed him.  I am keeping my mouth shut before Rachel reconsiders how nice she is being to me!

The little man is growing and changing with each day.  Well, honestly I do not really notice each and every day.  But he looks different than when he was born, and he has not been out here for that many days...so he must be changing every day, right?

My biggest surprise is the power of the swaddle.  I always figured the secret weapon of the baby whisperer was in the proper pat on the baby, or the secret string of baby talk cooed into his ear.  But no.  It is the tight wrapping of a piece of cloth around him.  He fights it with all his might; arms flailing wildly in an attempt to avoid containment.  But thankfully at this point I am still stronger than him, and my will wins out.  Once he is bound up and picked up, the shrill screams of horror immediately subside into blank stares of seemingly narcotic-induced bliss.  Yet, he does not know what is best for him.  For once he is laid down on his own, he springs into a fit of Houdini-like writhing that results in the eventual freeing of his hands over time.  Only to have me wrap him up again.  Repeat.  Sigh.

Rachel commented recently on how the pride of parenthood has hit her.  She wondered what it would be like to be a mom, to have that responsibility over a child.  But now she can relish every new thing that Andrew is able to do, and feel that tingly warmth whenever people compliment him.

Andrew during Tummy Time

Andrew has also had a humanizing effect on my work life.  Now, students and staff (who before may have never engaged in small talk with me) constantly ask, "how's the baby?"  It gives them something they know they can talk to me about.  It is a good thing.  Also, I love the reaction of the students - because I am a science teacher, they assume I am smart.  Since they think I am smart, they all comment how my son is going to be a scientific genius. 

At work, it has been a tough transition back.  Leaving home is okay, but the problem is that I had a lot piled up.  Things from spring break were pushed back due to working on the house (pulling staples, for example).  After that, the baby came.  Then moving.  In all that, I have amassed a lot of work to grade and a lot of paperwork to fill out.  I have been making good progress on it in recent days, but needless to say I am counting the days until summer begins.  

At home, our new house is wonderful.  I am almost as happy about living here as I am about being a dad.  My mind is spinning with the things I want to do with the place this summer (time and money allowing, of course) but in a good way.  It is going to be a blast.

It is 10:45 and he is already asleep.  Sweet!  I need to take the bus in the morning so I need to turn my alarm back a bit.  

With that, I will throw a few pictures on to the end of this and call it a night.




-alan


No comments: