Saturday, June 4, 2011

House update

While everyone just wants to see pictures of the baby - I can understand that - this is one post that just will not deliver the goods. 

A common question is, "have you finished unpacking?"  In every way, the answer is no.  We have a basement, and so the boxes are out of the way of our daily life, but they remain down there like a dark cloud hanging over our heads.  I have been patient with it, because work has been busy as I have prepared for the end of the year and caught up on things that I let slide during the birthing and moving process.  But really, unpacking the rest will not begin in earnest until after I return to Chicago from my conference in New Mexico later this month.

But that preoccupation has not been enough to keep Rachel and I from beginning to plan our potential summer remodels.  Task #1 - the kitchen.  The lack of counter space and lack of dishwasher are clearly headaches that will bother us everyday until something is done.  So, the kitchen has catapulted from the bottom of the list to the very top.  The problem is deciding the scale of what we want.  We could simply upgrade the functionality by adding a set of cabinets and a dishwasher; however, anything we added would not be able to perfectly match what is already in there.  And what is there (cheap pre-fab cabinets and green laminate countertop) do not look terrible, but we would certainly choose different materials and styles to upgrade the appearance along with function.  So I am leaning now towards a full remodel - new floor, new cabinets, new countertop, new sink. 

And with every house project, each investigation brings new developments.  As I was looking at the plumbing, I noticed some leaking - so the plan to replace our steel pipes with copper might take place this summer instead of a couple years down the road.  As I was looking for water in the basement, I noticed new leaking from the foundation following the torrential rains we had.  Which means tearing out the paneling in the basement and having someone come in to fill the foundation cracks.  And in thinking about rain, I noticed the gutters leaking during the storm today.  Not to mention the leaky tile in the shower that I already patched - temporarily.  It seems this will be a busy summer  year lifetime of home ownership.

For some time, I was really looking forward to moving because of some specific things I was dissatisfied with at our old apartment.  So I thought it would be good to  cheer myself with some of the things I really like about being here.

1) Moderate temperatures.  I have not cleaned out the AC unit yet, but we have been fine with windows and fans for a couple of 90 degree days.  And when we moved in, we still had the heat running the first week because temps were in the 40s and 50s - and we could set the thermostat to a lower temperature and still feel comfortable.
2) Garage.  Not having to circle for parking or clean debris off the car is great.
3) Front yards.  Did not really exist in Bridgeport, but we have a nice little one here.  Earlier this week, 6 houses in a row on our block all mowed their lawns the same day.  It looked great!
4) The Space.  We have a real living and dining room, instead of that little multipurpose room.  I like working at the table, or moving to the couch, or going to the bedroom in a place that has much more flow to it.  The storage is great, too.
5) Personalization.  While there are no decorations on the wall, simply being able to paint the walls something other than cream is satisfying.

This place will absorb all our expendable income and time, but at least we can wow our friends with our new pillars of adulthood - we are parents, and we are homeowners.  And proud of both!

-alan

No comments: