Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Santa Fe!

Today we had the afternoon off - there were several trips planned.  Instead of traveling with the group, I went in my coworker's rented car to Santa Fe. 

Knowing nothing about the town other than the fact that it has a lot of artists and that terrible song in the musical Rent, I spent most of the time tagging along with whatever they wanted to do.

We spent our time in the downtown shopping district, which has a central plaza that probably contains the only piece of decent looking grass in the state.


I shouldn't joke.  There are tons of wildfires around, and the locals say there has not been a drop of rain here in a year.  Yikes.  I am definitely taking quick showers.

There are endless streets of art galleries, souvenir shops, and knick-knackeries.  We weaved our way in and out of store after store.  My coworkers wanted to find me something for Rachel.  I did earnestly look - but every decoration or piece of pottery or picture or artwork that looked nice was WAY too expensive.  Any artwork I saw that was bigger than 5x7 was in the 4 digits.  Cool photography can in the hundreds...unframed!  And most everything has a southwestern theme, which I just do not know if it fits in our house.

I spent a little extra time in the local cathedral.  There I met a docent who attended Northwestern in 50s.  He was from New Mexico and hated the winter in Chicago.  I don't blame him.


Part of the cathedral dates back to 1714.  Pretty old, eh?  Well, maybe not European old, but not much in America has that kind of age. 


The stained glass inside was recently restored - it is French leaded glass that was first installed in the 1880s.  Looks beautiful now.  Here is St. Andrew, in honor of my boy:


Had I come here again, I would go to one of the museums - the history museum, probably - but oh well.  It was a decent time.  All the walking made the margarita at dinner taste extra rewarding.

So I am getting along fine in camp.  There are enough nice people here to pass the time, though it is certainly more fun to spend vacations with my wife.  I can't say I mind going to bed and sleeping when I want, but I still look forward to going home at the end of it all.

In terms of work, it has been a productive couple days of thinking ahead towards my future IB class.  I am getting to put together all those big picture items that will be needed down the line.  In all, this has been a worthwhile conference.

Time for bed!

-alan

No comments: