Saturday, August 6, 2011

Back on the air

The new modem has been received, so we are reconnected to the world.  

The most exciting kitchen-related news of the week is the granite counter - I finished installing the cabinets on Monday, and the measurements were made on Tuesday.  Today we got a call to schedule installation on Aug 15.  So that is our new "we're all done!!!" date.

In the meantime, I have been trying to get some other loose ends tied up.  Electrical work has consumed the last couple of days.  It is not quite done, but getting there.  The big to-do on my mental list right now is installing the microwave (over the range), adding new ducts for the vent, and adding a new light fixture.  The latter two will involve hauling myself back in the attic crawlspace and prying up some floor boards.  Not exacting looking forward to that....or to cutting a hole in the roof for the new vent!

Yesterday, though, was an unfortunate emotional milestone for me.  It was the day I officially became sick of working on the kitchen.  I would love to just laze around a little bit and enjoy my summer in other ways.  We are having fun too - I golfed this week, we went back to Millennium Park, had brunch in Logan Square, etc - but there is no such thing as complete relaxation as long as the kitchen project is hanging over my head.  Today I was mainly in the basement, which was a nice diversion.  And Rachel cleaned up a lot, which helps a ton!

Getting there.

-alan

  

No comments: