Sunday, August 14, 2011

Kitchen update, day ?

After spending much of the week in Michigan with my family, we resumed work yesterday on the kitchen.  We were quite productive - I installed brackets to support the counter overhang, wired the island for electricity, installed a new ceiling fan, and the new over-the-counter microwave. 

The fan caused me the most issues.  I installed it fairly easily - there was a bracket and wiring already in place from the old fan.  I hooked it all up, but nothing turned on.  So I took it apart and found faulty electrical connections (oops!).  So I re-made the connections and put it back up.  It worked!  But would not turn off.  Huh?  The switch did nothing to affect the light or the fan motor.  So I took it all apart and did some forensic investigation of the wiring.  In the end, I found that into that box went 3 live wires and 1 live wire that was connected to the wall switch.  The wall switch indicated it should have been a red wire, but what came of out the box was blue.  Argh!  So back up it went, and now it works just fine.


On our way back from MI, we stopped at the outlet mall in Indiana to get some clothes.  Andrew was great - appropriately cute for the salespeople, and very comfy in his stroller most of the time.  Rachel seems to be working on making him more independent.

-alan

No comments: