Monday, August 15, 2011

Our kitchen rocks and other thoughts

Today the two guys came to install our lovely new granite and sink.  I have been anxiously awaiting this day throughout the whole kitchen renovation and now it has come and gone.

One part of me really needed to see the granite in the space to feel secure in the choices we made.  I was the one who picked it out the actual slabs from the giant warehouse trying to find the perfect stone.  I polled random strangers about paint color in Home Depot as I agonized over the decision.  I had to know if everything would tie together well.  I am happy to report that I think it looks better than I envisioned.



Also, I mentally set up this day as the most important of all.  The capstone to the whole project.  Now I see how each day of the kitchen work is equally critical, albeit less sexy, for the completion of the final product.  I am amazed daily as I see Alan's diligence in attempting the myriad of tasks involved in this project.  So even though I was delighted to see the granite guys installing our new treasures, I am even more moved as I see my husband learn and labor for the sake of the family.

As I close this entry, I am reminded at how blessed  we are to have opportunity to own this home and money to make these renovations.  Even though HGTV has been brainwashing me to believe otherwise, design and the picture perfect house are not everything.  It is hard sometimes to have this perspective when the project seems so all consuming and materialism feels so good.  I guess the real value of this renovation will be seen in the days ahead as we use our new wonderful space to bless and serve others.

Who is hungry?

-rachel

PS Thank you miners in India for the granite.

PPS Andrew is tired of all the kitchen work, can't we build him a fort instead?


1 comment:

Eric and Liz said...

AA-time to update your tag line about "teaching in Chicago" times are a changein'