Friday, July 23, 2010

Fantastic Week

Wonderful Wednesday
My high school friend Ann, who I only get to see every few years, came to Chicago and we had a lot of fun hanging out.  We went to a local organic restaurant , played at the park, reflected on our past years, and made some guacamole.  It is always fun to see Ann, to see how she has changed and hasn’t changed at the same time. 
Later Alan and my sister and my new bro in law met some friends down in Millennium Park to see BBC's Planet Earth accompanied by the Grant Park Orchestra.  We had an amazing picnic and the highlight was Sarah’s peanut butter frosted chocolate cupcakes with red hearts on top.  They were the talk of the town literally.  Everyone wanted one, but they were reserved for us (I ate 3).  It was great to see Planet Earth outdoors and marvel at the beauty of creation.
 


Farmer’s Market Thursday

Not much to say here, except I love going to the Hyde Park Farmer’s Market on Thursdays!  They have  a great selection and it is great seeing the folks that give us the food on our table.  I just read Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food and have been pretty geeked out about buying REAL food so that is the place to do it!  We weren’t planning on cooking too much this week but still managed to buy some beautiful stuff.


5th Anniversary Friday
So we have been married now for 5 years today.  I feel like I should have some profound words to say about marriage, but I just feel really blessed to know and live life with Alan.  We are different in a lot of ways, but I think those things keep me sane.
This afternoon as I was preparing for our date I was a little anxious, because I was expecting a call from a potential employer.  After awhile, I received a TEXT  (see Alan's post below) with the job offer.  I will be teaching part-time 3 world studies courses.  I love teaching freshman and teaching them to see the world in new ways so this was a great anniversary present.
Later, Alan and I walked down the street to Han 202, an Asian restaurant with 5 courses of deliciousness.  Between us we ate miso soup, crab wanton soup, fried calamari, walnut shrimp, beef and green apple salad, lamb with black rice, duck with veggies, and 2 different kinds of sorbet!  We also really lucked out with the weather because it started pouring after we arrive and settle down a bit on our walk home.
All in all it was a great day, and I am happy to spend it with the one I love! 
-rachel

No comments: