Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Random mishaps

Last week, we were on our way to school (on our scooters) when I noticed Rachel was no longer behind me. I waited for a bit until I finally saw her approach me....and pass me. Wondering what was going on, I catch up to find out that her brake line had snapped. So she was without brakes.

Thankfully, the roads are empty in the morning so we made it to school with no trouble. (getting it home was more of a challenge, though! I drove it fine, though my shoes have some telltale wear on the bottom due to my need to slow down fast) Apparently, this is not a rare occurrence (not that comforting...) but the situation was made worse because Rachel's front brake did not work either. So yesterday Rachel had it fixed. Total cost? 2 RMB. A little more than a quarter in USD...

Also, my cell phone was lost about a month ago. To be honest, I have not missed it. In the US, my phone was mostly used to call Rachel. Now, we work together and are rarely apart for very long. Most of my friends are also my coworkers, so they are in close proximity on a daily basis. Besides, I had made enough of a habit of leaving my phone off, that they stopped calling me. So despite Rachel's pleas otherwise, I am content to live without.

Last, and certainly least - another taboo broken. I thought that my male-ness exempted me from the unintentional ridicule of students (look back at previous posts from Rachel about the things that students will say to her...). I NEVER get comments about my hair, my clothes, my speech, etc. However, this week one quiet 6th grade girl (of all people!) told me flat out that I look like a mouse. Well, I have her volcano test still to grade, so perhaps I shall exact my passive aggressive revenge....mwahahaha!

-alan

No comments: