Monday, November 9, 2009

What I made for dinner

Sorry no pictures, but I just wanted to update you all that I have kept up with my promise to cook once a week. There was a week that I thought I wasn't going to have a chance, but Xue Mei didn't come that day leaving me an opportunity :-)

(i just killed 2 mosquitoes, i wish there was video of me jumping around on the coffee table)

Anyways, my dinner was a collection of sides mashed potatoes, pumpkin (alan calls it baby food), broccoli, and zucchini and red onion. Alan walked in as I was going to cook the sausage so I left the meat up to the man, and I left to run an errand.

I admit I love buying and cooking veggies, but I am very intimidated by meat. I like to eat it, but how do you cook it? I have made many dishes with chicken breast and ground meat both of which I can clearly handle, and only one meal that featured a steak or piece of meat. Any tips are appreciated!

-rachel

1 comment:

Darrin Gee said...

Hey Rachel!

So I just subscribed to your blog, I think I found it via facebook, and I think that I'm qualified to comment on this post.

Cooking a perfect steak couldn't be easier. This is best done in a heavy, oven-proof pan, preferably cast iron, but anything but non-stick will work. First preheat your oven to 400 degrees, Next, get your empty pan over high heat for 5 minutes or so until it's blazing hot (this will ruin a non-stick pan). While everything heats up, coat the steak lightly in oil (something high heat, canola, grapeseed, etc), salt, and pepper. When this is prepared, and your pan is searing hot, throw the meat on to the pan. Let the meat sear for about 2 minutes, and then flip it over and sear the other side. Don't move the meat around while it sears, it will release from the pan by itself once it's browned.

After both sides have been seared, put a small square of butter on top of the steak, and put the whole thing, pan and all, into the oven.

Bake the steak for 5-15 minutes, depending on thickness of the cut, and your desired doneness. Ideally you'll have a instant read food thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat, but if you don't you can usually tell by the firmness of the meat. Medium-rare is ideal.

Just before steak reaches desired doneness remove the pan from the oven, remove steak from pan and cover with tinfoil on a plate. Let rest for at least 5 minutes - this is very important or the juice will escape the meat once you cut into it.

Voila, perfect steak. Hope it helps! I cook a lot these days, so I couldn't resist giving you this recipe.

Darrin